Saturday, October 4, 2008

driving

I love driving. Riding in a car, to be more precise. I sit in the backseat and stare out the window, and don't read any of the books I brought along. Everything is enchanted when you're just passing through. We can be flying past cornfields and the cornfields are magic, or meandering down some twisty homey road and I just know that someone I almost know lives in that little house with the bonfire in the backyard, but I'll never know who they are. It makes me want to write.

1 comment:

Steerforth said...

I like travelling on a train through the suburbs of London on a winter's evening, when the sky is dark blue and everyone has turned their lights on.

As the train passes the backs of people's houses, I can see people in their kitchens and back rooms, cooking, eating, watching tv or reading. Occasionally I see a house that looks so nice, that I wish I knew the people in it.

There are few greater pleasures than travelling and daydreaming.